Richmond Ballet, the State Ballet of Virginia, seeks an Executive Director who will support the Artistic Director with an enthusiastic dedication to Richmond Ballet’s mission, vision and values, and will bring highly polished skills to board and donor relationships and the organization’s administrative operation.
Under the leadership of Artistic Director Stoner Winslett, Richmond Ballet welcomed Associate Artistic Director Ma Cong in 2020. Mr. Cong will assume the role of Artistic Director when Stoner Winslett takes the title of Founding Artistic Director and begins to serve in an advisory capacity. The newly created role of Executive Director will be the primary ambassador to lead fundraising, foster strong board relationships, and build community support for the next generation of Richmond Ballet.
Company Overview and Position Information:
Originally started in 1957 by local leaders as a community organization, 40 years ago Richmond Ballet was founded as a professional company with Stoner Winslett as Artistic Director. The mission of the Richmond Ballet is to awaken, uplift and unite human spirits and the Company is driven by a circle model of operation with Art at the center and the Artistic Director as head of the organization.
The mission is achieved through the activities of the professional company of 20 dancers who perform 6 productions annually over a minimum 38 week contract, the annual training of more than 1,000 pre-professional and avocational students of all ages in the School of Richmond Ballet, and Minds In Motion, a vibrant education and community outreach division reaching nearly 1500 students each year.
The Ballet owns and operates its facility at 407 E Canal Street, which includes 57,000 square feet, including 10 dance studios, a convertible performance space for 250 patrons, and administrative offices. Richmond Ballet expects to move its convertible performing space to the Leslie Cheek Theater at the Virginia Museum of Fine Arts in the next year. The organization rents 15,000 square feet of storage and production space in a separate location. The Company performs two to three productions at a 1,600 seat theater in a performing arts center with live orchestra in downtown Richmond as well as touring engagements nationally and internationally.
The annual budget is $6.2 million. The Company has a modest endowment and operating reserve. Financial statements are available for review or online at www.richmondballet.com.
The incoming Executive Director will bring strong strategic and fundraising skills and will be devoted to extending the financial resources to support the mission and vision of Richmond Ballet in the direction set by Ma Cong. The Executive Director will be responsible for building a stable revenue plan to support and enhance the activities of the Company. The Executive Director will ensure Richmond Ballet is a welcoming place for all stakeholders. Leading with principles of fairness and respect, the Executive Director will function as a primary solicitor for support from major donors and corporate leaders, and local and national funders, in addition to acting as the primary liaison with the Board and ambassador of the Company.
The Executive Director will guide a senior team of administrative department heads, each of whom represents critical support functions necessary to achieve the mission and vision including, Development-Contributed Revenue, Marketing-Earned Revenue, Finance, Production Administration and Facility Management.
This is an excellent opportunity for an experienced professional to join a close-knit group of artists and enthusiasts as Richmond Ballet embarks on a new chapter in the history of the organization.
Qualifications and Education Requirements:
• A desire to support Ma Cong as he transitions to the first new artistic leader of Richmond Ballet in four decades.
• An appreciation of ballet and dance and a commitment to the vision and mission of Richmond Ballet.
• The proven ability to function as a servant leader and demonstrate effective leadership.
• An expertise in fundraising and administration, preferably in the performing arts, and dance in particular.
• An established capacity for strategic thinking and fundraising with experience in board and donor relations.
• The ability to act as a primary solicitor for major gifts and funding and work in concert with the Artistic Director for high profile events.
• A talent for creating a vision and plan to support the Ballet’s long-term interests, including the next phase of capital campaigning.
• An aptitude for financial accounting and ability to manage flexible multi-year budgeting and long-lead planning.
• The ability to oversee a broad range of insurance coverages and technical and financial systems and software.
• Prior experience working with or serving on a not-for-profit board preferred.
• 5 – 10 years experience in a leadership role.
• Bachelor’s degree and graduate degree preferred.
Organization Type: Not-for-profit Arts Organization
Benefits: Health, Dental, Vision, Life & AD&D, Long-Term Disability, Accidental/Critical Illness insurance policies, Health Savings Account, 403(b) Retirement Account
Location: Richmond, VA with travel required for fundraising and public appearances.
The Richmond Ballet is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is committed to embracing and promoting Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DEI) throughout the organization including talent recruiting and retention, training, artistic programming, community outreach and workplace culture.
Please send resume, cover letter and salary requirements to email@example.com.
ADDITIONAL CAREER POSTS
Sorry, we couldn't find any posts. Please try a different search.