Last Updated April 15, 2021
THESE TERMS ALSO INCLUDE, AMONG OTHER THINGS, A BINDING ARBITRATION PROVISION THAT CONTAINS A CLASS ACTION WAIVER, WHICH LIMITS YOUR RIGHTS IN THE EVENT OF A DISPUTE RELATED TO THE WEBSITE. PLEASE REFER TO SECTION 18 “ARBITRATION AGREEMENT” FOR MORE INFORMATION.
1. Acceptance of Agreement
2. Changes to these Terms
5. Limitation of Liability
6. Intellectual Property Rights
7. Prohibited Uses
8. Export Control
9. Third Party Websites
11. Disclaimer of Warranties
13. Arbitration agreement
16. Contact Information
Acceptance of Agreement
By accessing and/or using the Website, you acknowledge that you have read, understood, and agree to be bound by these Terms. If you do not agree with these Terms, you may not access or use the Website.
Changes to these Terms
We may make changes to these Terms from time to time. We will ask you to accept any material changes to these Terms. However, if Richmond Ballet makes any other non-material changes to these Terms, it is your responsibility to review the Terms posted to our Website from time to time to see if they have been changed.
You represent that you are at least 18 years of age (or the age of majority in the State in which you reside). If you are under the age of 18 (or the age of majority in the State in which you reside), but at least 13 years of age, you may use the Website only under the supervision of your legal guardian who has agreed to be bound by these Terms. This Website is not intended for, and you may not use this Website if you are under 13 years of age.
Limitation of Liability
RICHMOND BALLET SHALL IN NO EVENT BE RESPONSIBLE OR LIABLE TO YOU OR TO ANY THIRD PARTY, WHETHER IN CONTRACT, WARRANTY, TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE), OR OTHERWISE, FOR ANY INDIRECT, SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL, CONSEQUENTIAL, EXEMPLARY, LIQUIDATED, OR PUNITIVE DAMAGES, INCLUDING FOR ANY LOST PROFITS OR LOST DATA ARISING FROM YOUR USE OF THE WEBSITE OR ANY OF THE WEBSITE CONTENT OR OTHER MATERIALS ON OR ACCESSED THROUGH THE WEBSITE, EVEN IF RICHMOND BALLET HAS BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES. IN NO EVENT WILL RICHMOND BALLET'S TOTAL LIABILITY TO YOU FOR ALL DAMAGES, LOSSES, OR CAUSES OF ACTION EXCEED $100. SOME JURISDICTIONS DO NOT ALLOW THE EXCLUSION OF CERTAIN WARRANTIES OR THE LIMITATION OR EXCLUSION OF LIABILITY FOR INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES. ACCORDINGLY, SOME OF THE ABOVE LIMITATIONS SET FORTH ABOVE MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU. IF YOU ARE DISSATISFIED WITH ANY PORTION OF OUR WEBSITE OR WITH THESE TERMS, YOUR SOLE AND EXCLUSIVE REMEDY IS TO DISCONTINUE USE OF OUR WEBSITE.
Intellectual Property Rights
The Website is owned and operated by Richmond Ballet. All content, visual interfaces, information, graphics, design, compilation, computer code, products, software, services, text, data, contents, names, trade names, trademarks, trade dress, service marks, layout, logos, designs, images, graphics, illustrations, artwork, icons, photographs, displays, sound, music, video, animation, organization, assembly, arrangement, interfaces, databases, technology, and all intellectual property of any kind whatsoever and the selection and arrangement thereof (collectively, the "Richmond Ballet Materials") are owned exclusively by Richmond Ballet or the licensors or suppliers of Richmond Ballet and are protected by U.S. copyright, trade dress, patent, and trademark laws, international conventions, and all other relevant intellectual property and proprietary rights, and applicable laws. All rights are hereby reserved. Without limiting the foregoing, no Richmond Ballet Materials available on or through the Website may be copied, reproduced, duplicated, published, or distributed in any form or by any means whatsoever without the express prior written permission of Richmond Ballet or the appropriate licensor or supplier.
- As a condition of your use of the Website, you represent and warrant to Richmond Ballet that you will not use the Website for any purpose that is unlawful or prohibited by these Terms. Towards that end, access to the Richmond Ballet Materials and the Website from territories where their contents are illegal is strictly prohibited. You are responsible for complying with all local rules, laws, and regulations including, without limitation, rules about intellectual property rights, the internet, technology, data, email, or privacy.
Additionally, you agree that you will not:
- use or access the Website in any manner that in Richmond Ballet's sole discretion could damage, disable, overburden, or impair it or interfere with any other party's use of the Website;
- intentionally interfere with or damage the operation of the Website or enjoyment of it, by any means;
- remove, circumvent, disable, damage or otherwise interfere with any security-related features of the Website, features that prevent or restrict the use or copying of any content accessible through the Website, or features that enforce limitations on the use of the Website;
- attempt to gain unauthorized access to the Website, or any part of it, other accounts, computer systems or networks connected to the Website, or any part of it, through hacking, password mining or any other means or interfere or attempt to interfere with the proper working of the Website or any activities conducted on the Website;
- obtain or attempt to obtain any materials or information through any means not intentionally made available through the Website;
- use or attempt to use any engine, software, tool, agent, or other device or mechanism (including without limitation browsers, spiders, robots, avatars or intelligent agents) to navigate or search the Website;
- attempt to decipher, decompile, disassemble, or reverse-engineer any of the software comprising or in any way making up a part of the Website.
- use any robot, spider, scraper, or other automated means to access the Website for any purpose without our express written permission or bypass other measures we may use to prevent or restrict access to the Website;
- utilize framing techniques to enclose any trademark, logo, or other Richmond Ballet Materials without our express written consent; or
- use any meta tags or any other "hidden text" utilizing Richmond Ballet's name or trademarks without our express written consent.
- If Richmond Ballet, in its sole discretion, believes that you may have engaged in any activities restricted by these Terms or by law, we may take various actions to protect Richmond Ballet, other users, and other third parties from fees, fines, penalties, and any other liability. The actions we may take include the following:
- we may close, suspend, or limit your ability to use the Website;
- we may refuse to allow you to use the Website in the future;
- we may take legal action against you;
- we may hold you liable to Richmond Ballet for the amount of Richmond Ballet's damages caused by your violation of these Terms or applicable law.
- Richmond Ballet, in its sole discretion, reserves the right to terminate these Terms, access to its Website for any reason and at any time with or without notice to you.
You represent and warrant that you are not (x) located in any country that is subject to a U.S. Government embargo, or that has been designated by the U.S. Government as a "terrorist supporting" country, or (y) listed on any U.S. Government list of prohibited or restricted parties including the Treasury Department's list of Specially Designated Nationals or the U.S. Department of Commerce Denied Person's List or Entity List. You also agree that you will not use the Website for any purposes prohibited by United States law. Downloading or using our Website is at your sole risk. Recognizing the global nature of the Internet, you agree to comply with all local rules and laws regarding your use of our Website, including as it concerns online conduct and acceptable content.
Third Party Websites
These Terms do not apply to other websites or online services that are accessible through the Website. The Website may provide links to other websites, resources and online services for your convenience and information, and may include third-party features such as apps, tools, widgets and plug-ins. These third-party sites and services may operate independently from us. The confidentiality and data security practices of the relevant third parties, including details on the information they may collect about you, is subject to the privacy, confidentiality and data security policies of these parties, which we strongly suggest you review. To the extent any linked online websites, services or third-party features are not owned or operated by the Richmond Ballet, we are not responsible for these third parties’ information practices.
We have no control over such third party sites and resources, and we are not responsible for such third party sites and resources. You further acknowledge and agree that we will not be responsible or liable, directly or indirectly, for any damage or loss caused or alleged to be caused by or in connection with use of or reliance on any content, events, goods, or services available on or through any such third party site or resource. Any dealings you have with third parties found while using our Website are between you and the third party, and you agree that we are not liable for any loss or claim that you may have against any such third party.
To the fullest extent permitted by law, you agree to indemnify, defend and hold Richmond Ballet and all of its successors, parents, subsidiaries, affiliates, officers, directors, stockholders, investors, employees, agents, representatives and attorneys and their respective heirs, successors and assigns (collectively, the "Indemnified Parties"), harmless from and against any and all claims, liabilities, losses, damages, costs and expenses, including, without limitation, reasonable attorneys' fees, incurred by the Indemnified Parties arising out of or relating to (i) your access to, use of or alleged use of the Website; (ii) your violation of the Terms or any representation, warranty, or agreements referenced herein, or any applicable law or regulation; (iii) your violation of any third party right, including without limitation any intellectual property right, publicity, confidentiality, property or privacy right; or (iv) any disputes or issues between you and any third party. We reserve the right, at our own expense, to assume the exclusive defense and control of any matter otherwise subject to indemnification by you, and in such case, you agree to cooperate with our defense of such claim. You shall cooperate as fully as reasonably required in the defense of any such claim. You agree not to settle any matter without the prior written consent of Richmond Ballet.
Disclaimer of Warranties
- THE WEBSITE, INFORMATION, DATA, FEATURES, AND ALL CONTENT IS OFFERED AND MADE AVAILABLE ON AN "AS IS" AND "AS AVAILABLE" BASIS. RICHMOND BALLET MAKES NO REPRESENTATIONS OR WARRANTIES OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, AS TO THE CONTENT OR OPERATION OF THE WEBSITE. YOU EXPRESSLY AGREE THAT YOUR USE OF THE WEBSITE IS AT YOUR SOLE RISK. IF YOU ARE A CALIFORNIA RESIDENT, YOU HEREBY WAIVE CALIFORNIA CIVIL CODE SECTION 1542 WHICH PROVIDES: "A general release does not extend to claims that the creditor or releasing party does not know or suspect to exist in his or her favor at the time of executing the release and that, if known by him or her, would have materially affected his or her settlement with the debtor or released party."
- RICHMOND BALLET MAKES NO REPRESENTATIONS, WARRANTIES OR GUARANTEES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, REGARDING THE ACCURACY, RELIABILITY, COMPLETENESS, OR CONTINUED AVAILABILITY OF THE CONTENT ON THE WEBSITE, AND EXPRESSLY DISCLAIMS ANY WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, NON-INFRINGEMENT, OR FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. RICHMOND BALLET MAKES NO REPRESENTATION, WARRANTY, OR GUARANTEE THAT THE CONTENT THAT MAY BE AVAILABLE THROUGH THE WEBSITE IS FREE OF BUGS, DEFECTS, OR ERRORS, OR INFECTION FROM ANY VIRUSES OR OTHER CODE OR COMPUTER PROGRAMMING ROUTINES THAT CONTAIN CONTAMINATING OR DESTRUCTIVE PROPERTIES OR THAT ARE INTENDED TO DAMAGE, SURREPTITIOUSLY INTERCEPT, OR EXPROPRIATE ANY SYSTEM, DATA, OR PERSONAL INFORMATION.
- The Website may be temporarily unavailable from time to time for maintenance or other reasons. Richmond Ballet assumes no responsibility for any error, omission, interruption, deletion, defect, delay in operation or transmission, communications line failure, theft or destruction or unauthorized access to, or alteration of, your communications. Richmond Ballet is not responsible for any problems or technical malfunction of any telephone network or lines, computer online systems, servers or providers, computer equipment, software, failure of email or players on account of technical problems or traffic congestion on the Internet or on the Website, including injury or damage to you or to any other person's computer related to or resulting from participating or downloading materials in connection with the Website.
You agree that we, in our sole discretion, may suspend or terminate your access to or use of our Website and remove and discard any content within our Website, for any reason, including for lack of use or if we believe that you have violated or acted inconsistently with the letter or spirit of these Terms. Any suspected fraudulent, abusive, or illegal activity that may be grounds for termination of your use of our Website may be referred to appropriate law enforcement authorities. You agree that any termination of your access to our Website under any provision of these Terms may be effected without prior notice. Further, you agree that we will not be liable to you or any third party for any termination of your access to our Website.
YOU HAVE READ THIS ARBITRATION AGREEMENT CAREFULLY AND UNDERSTAND THAT IT LIMITS YOUR RIGHTS IN THE EVENT OF A DISPUTE BETWEEN YOU AND US. YOU UNDERSTAND THAT YOU HAVE THE RIGHT TO REJECT THIS ARBITRATION AGREEMENT AS PROVIDED IN PARAGRAPH 13(c) BELOW.
- Governing Law. Except as otherwise required by applicable law, the Terms and the resolution of any Claims shall be governed by and construed in accordance with the laws of the Commonwealth of Virginia without regard to its conflict of laws principles. These laws will apply no matter where in the world you live, but if you live outside of the United States, you may be entitled to the protection of the mandatory consumer protection provisions of your local consumer protection law.
- Election to Arbitrate. Either party to these Terms may, at its sole election, require that the sole and exclusive forum and remedy for resolution of a Claim be final and binding arbitration pursuant to this section 13 (the "Arbitration Agreement"), unless you opt out as provided in section 13(c) below. As used in this Arbitration Agreement, "Claim" shall include any past, present, or future claim, dispute, or controversy involving you (or persons claiming through or connected with you), on the one hand, and us on the other hand, relating to or arising out of these Terms, and/or the activities or relationships that involve, lead to, or result from these Terms, including (except to the extent provided otherwise in the last sentence of section 13(h) below) the validity or enforceability of this Arbitration Agreement, any part thereof, or the entire Terms. Claims are subject to arbitration regardless of whether they arise from contract; tort (intentional or otherwise); a constitution, statute, common law, or principles of equity; or otherwise. Claims include matters arising as initial claims, counter‐claims, cross-claims, third-party claims, or otherwise. The scope of this Arbitration Agreement is to be given the broadest possible interpretation that is enforceable.
- Opt-Out of Arbitration Provision. You may opt out of this Arbitration Agreement for all purposes by sending an arbitration opt out notice to firstname.lastname@example.org, which is received at the specified e-mail address within 30 days of the date of your electronic acceptance of the terms of this Arbitration Agreement. The opt out notice must clearly state that you are rejecting arbitration; identify the Arbitration Agreement to which it applies by date; provide your name, address, and social security number; and be signed by you. You may send an opt out notice in any manner you see fit as long as it is received at the specified e-mail address within the specified time. No other methods can be used to opt out of this Arbitration Agreement. If the opt out notice is sent on your behalf by a third party, such third party must include evidence of his or her authority to submit the opt out notice on your behalf.
- Informal Dispute Resolution. If a Claim arises, our goal is to learn about and address your concerns and, if we are unable to do so to your satisfaction, to provide you with a neutral and cost effective means of resolving the dispute quickly. You agree that before filing any claim in arbitration, you may submit Claims by sending an email to email@example.com at any time.
- Arbitration Procedures. The party initiating arbitration shall do so with the American Arbitration Association (the "AAA") or Judicial Alternatives and Mediation Services ("JAMS"). The arbitration shall be conducted according to, and the location of the arbitration shall be determined in accordance with, the rules and policies of the administrator selected, except to the extent the rules conflict with this Arbitration Agreement or any countervailing law. If you have any questions concerning the AAA or would like to obtain a copy of the AAA arbitration rules, you may call 1(800) 778-7879 or visit the AAA's web site at: www.adr.org. If you have any questions concerning JAMS or would like to obtain a copy of the JAMS arbitration rules, you may call 1(800) 352-5267 or visit their web site at: www.jamsadr.com. In the case of a conflict between the rules and policies of the administrator and this Arbitration Agreement, this Arbitration Agreement shall control, subject to countervailing law, unless all parties to the arbitration consent to have the rules and policies of the administrator apply. The arbitration will be held in the United States county where you live or work, Richmond, Virginia, or any other location we agree to.
- Arbitration Fees. If we elect arbitration, we shall pay all the administrator's filing costs and administrative fees (other than hearing fees). If you elect arbitration, filing costs and administrative fees (other than hearing fees) shall be paid in accordance with the rules of the administrator selected, or in accordance with countervailing law if contrary to the administrator's rules. We shall pay the administrator's hearing fees for one full day of arbitration hearings. Fees for hearings that exceed one day will be paid by the party requesting the hearing, unless the administrator's rules or applicable law require otherwise, or you request that we pay them and we agree to do so. Each party shall bear the expense of its own attorneys' fees, except as otherwise provided by law. If a statute gives you the right to recover any of these fees, these statutory rights shall apply in the arbitration notwithstanding anything to the contrary herein.
- Appeals. Within 30 days of a final award by the arbitrator, any party may appeal the award for reconsideration by a three-arbitrator panel selected according to the rules of the arbitrator administrator. In the event of such an appeal, any opposing party may cross-appeal within 30 days after notice of the appeal. The panel will reconsider de novo all aspects of the initial award that are appealed. Costs and conduct of any appeal shall be governed by this Arbitration Agreement and the administrator's rules, in the same way as the initial arbitration proceeding. Any award by the individual arbitrator that is not subject to appeal, and any panel award on appeal, shall be final and binding, except for any appeal right under the Federal Arbitration Act ("FAA"), and may be entered as a judgment in any court of competent jurisdiction.
- No Class Actions. We agree not to invoke our right to arbitrate an individual Claim you may bring in Small Claims Court or an equivalent court, if any, so long as the Claim is pending only in that court. NO ARBITRATION SHALL PROCEED ON A CLASS, REPRESENTATIVE, OR COLLECTIVE BASIS (INCLUDING AS PRIVATE ATTORNEY GENERAL ON BEHALF OF OTHERS), EVEN IF THE CLAIM OR CLAIMS THAT ARE THE SUBJECT OF THE ARBITRATION HAD PREVIOUSLY BEEN ASSERTED (OR COULD HAVE BEEN ASSERTED) IN A COURT AS CLASS REPRESENTATIVE, OR COLLECTIVE ACTIONS IN A COURT. Unless consented to in writing by all parties to the arbitration, no party to the arbitration may join, consolidate, or otherwise bring claims for or on behalf of two or more individuals or unrelated corporate entities in the same arbitration unless those persons are parties to a single transaction. Unless consented to in writing by all parties to the arbitration, an award in arbitration shall determine the rights and obligations of the named parties only, and only with respect to the claims in arbitration, and shall not (a) determine the rights, obligations, or interests of anyone other than a named party, or resolve any Claim of anyone other than a named party; nor (b) make an award for the benefit of, or against, anyone other than a named party. No administrator or arbitrator shall have the power or authority to waive, modify, or fail to enforce this section 13(h), and any attempt to do so, whether by rule, policy, arbitration decision or otherwise, shall be invalid and unenforceable. Any challenge to the validity of this section 13(h) shall be determined exclusively by a court and not by the administrator or any arbitrator.
- Applicability of FAA. This Arbitration Agreement is made pursuant to a transaction involving interstate commerce and shall be governed by and enforceable under the FAA. The arbitrator will apply substantive law consistent with the FAA and applicable statutes of limitations. The arbitrator may award damages or other types of relief permitted by applicable substantive law, subject to the limitations set forth in this Arbitration Agreement. The arbitrator will not be bound by judicial rules of procedure and evidence that would apply in a court. The arbitrator shall take steps to reasonably protect confidential information.
- Survival of Arbitration Agreement. This Arbitration Agreement shall survive the termination of these Terms. If any portion of this Arbitration Agreement other than section 13(h) is deemed invalid or unenforceable, the remaining portions of this Arbitration Agreement shall nevertheless remain valid and in force. If an arbitration is brought on a class, representative, or collective basis, and the limitations on such proceedings in section 13(h) are finally adjudicated pursuant to the last sentence of section 13(h) to be unenforceable, then no arbitration shall be had. In no event shall any invalidation be deemed to authorize an arbitrator to determine Claims or make awards beyond those authorized in this Arbitration Agreement.
- Judicial Forum for Claims. Except as otherwise required by applicable law, in the event that this Arbitration Agreement is found not to apply to you or your Claim, you and Richmond Ballet agree that any judicial proceeding (other than small claims actions) will be brought in the federal or state courts of Richmond, Virginia. Both you and Richmond Ballet consent to venue and personal jurisdiction there. We both agree to waive our right to a jury trial.
- WAIVER OF RIGHT TO LITIGATE. THE PARTIES ACKNOWLEDGE THAT THEY HAVE A RIGHT TO LITIGATE CLAIMS THROUGH A COURT BEFORE A JUDGE OR JURY, BUT WILL NOT HAVE THAT RIGHT IF ANY PARTY ELECTS ARBITRATION PURSUANT TO THIS ARBITRATION AGREEMENT. THE PARTIES HEREBY KNOWINGLY AND VOLUNTARILY WAIVE THEIR RIGHTS TO LITIGATE SUCH CLAIMS IN A COURT BEFORE A JUDGE OR JURY UPON ELECTION OF ARBITRATION BY ANY PARTY.
The following provisions of these Terms shall survive termination of your use or access to the Website: the sections concerning Limitation of Liability, Indemnity, Disclaimer of Warranties, Arbitration Agreement, and General, and any other provision that by its terms survives termination of your use or access to the Website.
You may not assign or transfer these Terms or your rights hereunder, in whole or in part, by operation of law or otherwise, without our prior written consent. We may assign these Terms or any of our rights or obligations under these Terms at any time without notice. The failure to require performance of any provision shall not affect our right to require performance at any time thereafter, nor shall a waiver of any breach or default of the Terms constitute a waiver of any subsequent breach or default or a waiver of the provision itself. Use of paragraph headers in the Terms is for convenience only and shall not have any impact on the interpretation of particular provisions. In the event that any part of these Terms is held to be invalid or unenforceable, the unenforceable part shall be given effect to the greatest extent possible and the remaining parts will remain in full force and effect.
If you have any questions regarding Richmond Ballet, the Website, or the Terms please contact Richmond Ballet at: firstname.lastname@example.org.