Careers at Richmond Ballet
Thank you for your interest in joining the Richmond Ballet team.
Richmond Ballet, The State Ballet of Virginia, seeks a full time Facilities Manager. As part of the Operations and Administration Team, the Facilities Manager will join a dynamic company celebrating its 37th year as one of the country’s most admired and accomplished regional ballet companies.
Benefits Package includes Health, Health Savings Account, Dental, Long Term Disability Insurance, Life Insurance, 403B, Accident Insurance and the salary range is between $36,000 and $40,000. Interested candidates should send a cover letter, resume, and salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org EOE
This position is responsible for overseeing building operations and services at the Richmond Ballet building and warehouse.
- Develop and administer the annual administrative and building budgets.
- Manage the security and general administrative services.
- Manage preventive maintenance of facility equipment, including HVAC and office equipment.
- Manage the outsourcing of the IT function and provide basic IT support to employees.
- Oversee the cleaning and maintenance staff and activities of the building.
- Perform time sensitive repairs. Contract, schedule, and manage trades people for tasks outside the scope of self-performance.
- Purchase insurance coverage for building and equipment, sets, and costumes.
- Manage grounds, maintenance of parking lot, and snow removal.
- Transport, dispose of, or relocate office equipment and furniture.
- Plan and oversee building work/renovation.
- Maintain vendor relationships and request competitive bids to ensure best pricing for Ballet.
- Ensure all inspections such as sprinkler system, fire extinguishers, elevators, etc., are kept updated.
- Ensure compliance with state and federal regulations, and assist with energy management
- Manage PCI compliance
- Manage all leases.
- Negotiate trade agreements with vendors.
- Serve as Manager on Duty for Studio Theatre Performances.
Qualifications for Facilities Manager:
- Associate’s degree or equivalent professional level experience
- 3-5 years of experience in facilities maintenance or equivalent related functions
- Knowledge of OSHA and other environmental regulations
- Knowledge of general maintenance methods, operating requirements, and safety precautions related to facilities management
- Must be a well-organized, detail and customer (internal and external) oriented self-starter
- Strong procurement and negotiation skills
posted September 8, 2021
Richmond Ballet, The State Ballet of Virginia, seeks a full time Human Resources Director/Diversity Equity & Inclusion (DEI) Specialist. As part of the Finance and Administration Team, the HR Director will join a dynamic company celebrating its 37th year as one of the country’s most admired and accomplished regional ballet companies.
This position is responsible for all human resource functions and will work closely with other senior team leaders. Responsibilities include: benefits administration, payroll processing, time and attendance reporting, and personnel file maintenance for 100 employees, personnel policy implementation and employment law compliance, administrative recruitment and staffing. In addition, the Director will lead the company’s DEI efforts.
Candidates should have an appreciation of the art form and the company’s mission to awake and uplift the human spirit. Candidates must have at least 4 years’ human resources and DEI experience, or a similar combination of experience and education. Experience administering benefits plans and working with payroll systems preferred.
Benefits Package includes Health, Health Savings Account, Dental, Long Term Disability Insurance, Life Insurance, 403B, Accident Insurance and the salary range is $60,000-$65,000.
Interested candidates should send a cover letter, resume, and salary requirements to email@example.com EOE
Richmond Ballet Human Resources Director/DEI Specialist
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Recruitment and On-Boarding:
- Identify recruitment avenues and pursue new partnerships and pipelines.
- Continuously improve and manage interview and hiring process.
- Manage all Job Postings and Interview Processes
- Ensure accurate collection of new hire data for payroll and benefits.
Benefits and Compensation:
- Oversee employee benefits programs and the open enrollment process.
- Oversee delivery of benefits services and support to all personnel.
- Manage all employee benefits changes and communication with providers and agents.
- Approve benefits billing for Finance and updates Payroll System accordingly.
- Manage all payroll administration and bi-weekly processing in partnership with a third party.
- Serve as main contact for payroll for employees, the finance department, and the outside payroll provider.
- Oversee time system for approximately 100 Employees
Policy and Protocol Implementation
- Administer human resource plans and procedures for all Ballet personnel; develop and implement personnel policies and procedures; consult with outside legal counsel as required.
- Prepare and maintain employee handbook and policies and procedures manual.
- Create and communicate Building Safety Protocols for Employees in partnership with Leadership and Medical Task Force Team.
- Handle employee relations counseling, conflict resolution, and on-boarding and exit interviewing.
- Monitor Worker’s Comp claims, review annual audits, and work with agent to submit annual competitive insurance bids.
- Review all unemployment claims.
Diversity, Equity, Inclusion Specialist
- Lead efforts with the DEI Committee, Consultants, and Employees focusing on the mission.
- Guide DEI team on the implementation of strategic planning and goals.
- Help develop communications and messaging with the Marketing Department.
- Organize and facilitate team DEI training and learning activities.
- Ensure legal compliance by monitoring and implementing applicable human resource federal and state requirements and wage and hour laws.
- Maintains management guidelines by preparing, updating, and recommending human resource policies and procedures.
- Ensure payroll and benefits are paid according to state and federal law.
- Work with partners to ensure all team members are properly certified such as first aid training.
- Maintain current and historical human resource records.
- Maintain professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops; reviewing professional publications; establishing personal networks; and participating in professional societies.
- Work with Managing Director and CFO to edit staff handbook when needed.
- Manage annual audit for worker’s compensation.
Education and Work Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree required.
- 4+ years HR and Management experience required.
- Experience leading and working with DEI programs
- Experience in a non-profit setting is preferred, but not required.
- Public/community relations experience a plus.
- Must be knowledgeable of or able to learn current payroll program, provided by Dominion Payroll, a third party vendor.
- Experience in Microsoft Excel, Access, Word, and Office is required.
Preferred skills and work experience:
- Team player
- Results oriented
- Strong organizational skills and an obsessive attention to detail and follow through.
- Ability to work with short or changing deadlines
- Project management skills
- Exceptional time management skills and ability to prioritize.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment; flexible; able to work autonomously as well as take direction, as needed.
posted August 10, 2021
Richmond Ballet, The State Ballet of Virginia seeks head draper to assist our Costume Shop for the 2021/2022 season. Your daily tasks will take place in the Costume shop and storage facility which are located in our downtown building. Our yearly performance season consists of large-scale story ballets for which fitting, maintenance, alteration, and small builds will be required. Our season also includes newly commissioned works which are built in-house and on-site. The deadline and build timeline for these new works is often abridged by the choreographer or designer’s residency and availability, so attention to detail, flexibility, and grace under pressure are crucial to this position’s success. Dance draping and construction experience is required.
The Richmond Ballet production department and costume shop consists of a core group of dedicated full-time employees, along with over-hire and freelance workers. Because of our small team, these are hybrid positions. All shop staff participate in production load-ins by department, along with production duties that may include wardrobe run-crew or daytime laundry and maintenance duties. Your schedule and duties will be determined in advance, but are subject to change due to unforeseen circumstances. Some nights and weekends will be required during dress and tech rehearsals. Dress and tech rehearsals must be attended and worked by the draper.
In addition to working on the professional company season the Richmond Ballet costume shop also costumes the students from the School of Richmond Ballet and our community engagement program, Minds in Motion for productions both large and small, a love of children is a plus! Compensation for this position is hourly, and ranges from $18-20 per hour DOE. Paid holidays, sick leave, and somewhat flexible scheduling are a few of the many perks of joining our fun loving team!
Costume Shop Head Draper Duties and Responsibilities
• Work with the Costume Director to determine work-flow and duties assigned during costume builds
• Interpret sketches and drawings created by the Costume Designer to create the costume.
• Determine yardage for fabric and trims for the costume.
• Fabricate patterns, either by draping or flat patternmaking.
• Fit costumes to dancers.
• Cut all fabric based on pattern.
• Alter costumes as needed.
• Supervise work of first hands and stitchers.
• Research period, styles, and techniques necessary to complete costume to designer specifications.
• Maintain integrity of designer’s vision.
• Maintain clean and safe workspace.
• Participate in full build from start to finish, including notes
• Complete assigned costumes with high quality within tight timeline and budget.
• Maintain inventory of costume shop supplies and request items as needed
• Attendance at production meetings, tech rehearsals, and dress rehearsals
• Creation and completion of patterns with notes and appropriate markings for future use
• Maintenance of costume storage as assigned
• Advising on fitting requests
• Assist the Costume Director with creation of budgets for build based upon yardage and supply estimates, build time, and fitting time
• Wardrobe (backstage) and maintenance duties for productions as required/ assigned
• Any additional tasks as requested by the Costume Director or the Production Manager
Other duties may include:
Participation in education/ outreach program builds, rehearsals, and performances
Participation in SRB programs builds, rehearsals, and performances
Benefits Included. Full Time Position.
Salary commensurate with experience. Prospective candidates should send a cover letter, resume, salary requirements, and letters of reference to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please no phone calls. EOE
posted July 27, 2021